Blog Post Module 1

Evolution is a lot of things. When I wrote on the board on Thursday, I said that evolution was "like the fluid mosaic model", meaning that it is very dynamic and changes can happen all the time (maybe just not as fast). Similarly, I said that evolution was not "stagnant". Organisms are constantly undergoing small genetic changes from generation to generation, whether you can notice it or not. I also like to think of evolution as a simple equation: E = C/t, with E being evolution, C being change, and t being time (minimum one generation). I think of it this way because my brain can comprehend it better, although I know that this equation does not actually exist. 

In regards to the second question, evolution is definitely fact. Although it is only defined as a "theory", most verified theories are based in fact and have ample evidence supporting them. One cannot deny the observations of Charles Darwin when he traveled to the Galapagos Islands. Those who argue that evolution isn't fact might be set in their religious beliefs. To counter that, I would say that there are many scientists who believe in the theory of evolution that still hold strong religious beliefs and are devout in their faith. Although I wouldn't consider myself to be a daily practicer, I am still strong in my Catholic religious beliefs. However, I am still strong in my belief in evolution. My point is, the two are not opposites and they can coexist with each other. 

Comments

  1. Hey Casey,

    I enjoyed your comment about how evolution is like the fluid mosaic model. While the original biological model refers to the composition of cell membranes, I do appreciate how the metaphorical title can be interpreted to fit the theory of evolution. It's certainly fluid in the sense that it is a process of continuous change, as you mentioned. Furthermore, the idea of a mosaic puts forward the idea that there are many factors contributing to the overall process of evolution: mutation, genetic drift, natural selection, speciation, and environmental conditions to set some examples.

    Given the ample evidence, evolutionary theory is undoubtedly factual; however, I do think it's important not to take every "fact" presented to us as completely true. Although we are definitely close, we may, for example, still not be correct about the exact mechanisms for evolution. In other words, as with any area of science, evolution should continue to be thought about critically. Lastly, I admire your firm stance on the coexistence of science and religion, particularly in this topic as I understand it is a struggle point for many people. In high school, I actually wrote a paper on how science and religion don't have to be in conflict with each other, so I wholly agree with your argument there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Casey, I remember seeing "like the fluid mosaic model" on the board the other day and thinking well that has to do with cell membranes how is that like evolution? but after reading your post I can understand that you meant it more in a metaphorical sense that it is fluid and ever changing, while having multiple components that interact to drive evolution as we know it today.

    I completely agree with you that evolution is a fact and also a scientific theory used to explain those facts. There are many people in this world who may try to claim evolution is not real simply because of their faith without ever listening to the evidence and seeing the proof before their eyes. I like that you take your own faith and simply combine it with your evolutionary knowledge. I really like your conclusion sentence about evolution and religious faith not being opposites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Casey,
    I also saw "like a fluid mosaic model" on the board in class and had thought to myself "hm that's for sure an original interpretation." But it's awesome and actually quite an interesting way to think about the biosphere as a whole: shifting parts across a somewhat entirely connected matrix. I also enjoy your equation, I think of evolution in the same way but I've never defined specific variables like you have! Lastly, it really is a shame so many think that faith and science are somehow antithetical, given that they don't have to be and it's just an unfortunate historical product. I appreciate your commentary on that!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post Module 6: Inbreeding